Ola Hallengren is a Swede (I presume) who have developed these nifty scripts for performing backups, index maintenance and database checks.
I’ve been using them for some years now and really favour them opposed to the built in Maintenance jobs in SQL Server, which are less customizable and quite blunt.
- Highly customizable. You can decide what to do, how and when to do it.
- Standardized. They have been along for some time and feedback from users have led to a very robust product.
- Open Source. Free to modify, update and even sell if that is what you would like to do.
- Fast feedback from mister Ola when needed, I got a reply just a day later when I had some improvement suggestions.
Not really any con’s but some small things that could be improved.
- No prefix for tables, stored procedures and SQL Agent jobs. A default prefix, like OlaH_ or similar would help group the jobs, sp’s and tables together keeping the database tidy and easy to locate.
- No versioning. A version number in the stored procedure would help identify which version of the script you are running and what features you have. The suggested use of checksum doesn’t help with this.
All in all – I highly recommend the use of Ola Hallengrens scripts!